Monday, November 2, 2009

How to Clean Your Waterproof, Breathable Jacket

I'm sure some of you are getting sick of videos from my Gore-Tex experience, so I'll back off for a while (even though I have a lot more cool footage to share). So for now, I'll just post this one about how to restore the DWR coating on your jacket. This applies to any garment with a DWR. It's pretty simple but I think you'll find it useful.


If you've exceeded the number of times washing and drying will restore your DWR (10 - 15 times), then here are a couple of after-market products you may want to check out:

McNett Revivex Spray
Nikwax Tech Wash
How to Clean Your Waterproof, Breathable JacketSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

4 comments:

Izzy G. said...

Any word on if this would apply to an REI Taku Jacket, Jason?

Jason Klass said...

Izzy-
I think it applies to any jacket with a DWR coating. It's not specific to Gore-Tex.

Izzy G. said...

I wasn't sure if the Taku had a DWR Coating. I think a recently copy of Backpacker said that also using an iron on the lowest setting realigns the DWR.

I've never washed my Taku and it's only a year old (The original ripped, and was replaced by the warranty) so it's still good to go.

Felcy said...

Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life.

Jacketed Kettlesstock