Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gear Talk Update

Thanks to a combination of the holiday vortex, family visiting from abroad, house hunting, and a variety of other reasons, I've been out of commission for the last month.  But I'm back!  And, I've got piles of gear to review for 2011!  In the meantime, I thought I'd post a quick update to catch up.

After months of searching, I've finally settled on a waterproof, ruggedized camera for backpacking and fly fishing.  I chose an Olympus Stylus Tough which I've already used in temps down to -9 F and have knocked around a bit.  The picture quality is great and it takes decent macro pictures (which I need for my Backpack Fly Fishing website.  I like the fact that I don't have to worry about dust or water getting into it.  Here's a quick video that shows off some of it's machismo:




As some of you may know, I'm working on a DIY pulk this winter.  I had a hard time tracking down a Paris Expedition sled and tried (unsuccessfully) to organize a group purchase.  I'm happy to report that
I finally got one and for those of you interested, they are available again at REI.



I found a new gear site that aggregates gear that is at least 50% off retail.  Check them out at Outdoorgearsale.org.

I've been invited to give a presentation at the American Long Distance Hiking Association West in September and am really excited.  Hopefully, I'll see some of you there!

That's all for now.  But now that I'm back on track, stay tuned for new videos and gear reviews on things like electronically heated boots, crampons, fire steels, survival kits, base layers, and much, much more!
Gear Talk UpdateSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

5 comments:

Grace Junkie said...

I"m excited to see a fresh post, glad your back! Looking forward to the insight and wisdom you impart through 2011. BTW the screwpop has become very useful in so many ways including popping a brew after a hard day of building bicycles at work, where i've used it many times to reach in tight places on bikes. March is winter camping time for a group and I hope to test it out with some of my ideas such as a guy line tensioner.

goneflyfishing said...

Jason - good choice on the Olympus, I have the same and very happy so far with it. No worries outdoors, takes pix under water as well as macro pix of flies fresh off the vise. Looking forward to wet a line together soon. -K

motoroz said...

Nice to see a new post. Congrats on the invitation to speak in Sept.

stick13 said...

Sounds like you have been pretty busy, but good to see ya back!

Very nice camera there. That is a pretty cool video too.

I just wish that I had enough snow to even think about a pulk...

Good luck with your speech.

Matt Lacuesta said...

Very cool to see that frozen in the ice and dropped. You should send that to Olympus. Glad things have slowed down. Schedules are starting to free up all around, we should get out sometime soon.